Voting

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Bridging the Generation Gap


So what ensues in the life of a one legged Mindy.....well, saying one legged isn't quite fair to the scooter that has now replaced my right leg and has become the greatest conversation starter of all time. (I am afraid I will be adding lots of these little side comments, so gear up for more interspersed throughout, most will probably be little asides telling you how wonderful Clint is) A prime example of the spontaneity the scooter provides is an incident at the Salt Lake Ethnic Festival. So cast your mind...booths of food ranging from Thai to Swiss, stages with dancers and music from many different cultures, and last but not least the workshop booth where we learned how to make Hindi threshold paintings. Well, while "walking" (and by walking we all know I mean scooting while Clint takes one for the team and walks for the both of us) an older woman, about 70ish approached me and asked me if I could do her a favor. "Of course" was my response and then she informed me that her husband who was manning a booth around the corner also had a scooter. However although he protested to her comments that there were better scooters out there, he stood firm by his belief that his scooter was the best darn thing there was. My job was to zoom by his stand multiple times, then stealthily go to the booth and just peruse in the hopes he would notice the shining beacon of awesome scooterness that I had, which as plan A was destined to go should inspire him to want one. Well, plan B is what happened, and while "standing" at the booth the cute older woman approached me and said very loudly, "My what a nice scooter you have there." This quickly brought the attention of her husband and I was then guided through the reasons why his scooter was the best while we cross examined with the swiveling features of my latest model. All I can say is that this experience has really helped me connect with the older generation:)

5 comments:

  1. I love it Min! I would have just liked to hear that you and this older peer had one good race and who came off winner. Next time, challenge the inferior model scooter rider!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe when your done with it and I'm to fat to walk around at work, I could borrow it. It would be wonderful! lol I love that you started a blog, its so darling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw you called and so I decided to check out your blog. I can't wait to talk to you! Unfortunately, I work now from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., which is 7 p.m. your time. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo hoo I found your blog! We missed you tubing on Saturday :P Seretta bailed too! But Maggie and her husband came and we had a good time. Hope to see you again before we move! Ahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm, I'm a little angry I didn't know you had a blog, thank goodness for Rachel. Not that it looks like you ever update, so you may never even get this comment...but we have a brand new baby girl and i can't keep from telling the entire world! Love you and miss you, wish you weren't the worst person in the world at keeping in touch!

    ReplyDelete